Thursday, March 23, 2006

another day

i spent the whole day today trying to get my bank to let me deposit a check. apparently they have never seen checks like the one i produced, before, never heard of my former bank ( not very surprising, very few people outside PA had) and did not know what to do. i went to 3 different SBI's to figure out what i can do with the money that is rightfully mine. its not only the incompetence, but just the sheer ignorance left me feeling extremely frustrated.what was also bizarre is that all the people i talked to, irrespective of whether or not they could do the job they are paid to do, thought they were very entitled to know everything about my life, inside out, left to right and so on. and after asking seventeen thousand irrelevant things, they all told me, with benign smiles, they did not know what to do.

i had to take the day off from work to settle something, that, after all the hassle, took 15 minutes to be done. it did not improve my mood when i was told that processing everything takes at least six weeks. my hazy, sketchy dreams of a measly five day vacation went kaput. i was already nearing the limits of my endurance, having dealt with traffic, one-ways that lead nowhere, a driver that had to be told where park-street is and an occasionally working mobile phone that was created solely for the purpose of making my life a miserable wreck.

i felt marginally better after meeting with my one of my oldest and best buddies. what was meant to be a quick mutual venting session and lassi stretched out for an hour and five minutes including leisurely trips to the atm, speculation about whether eating fruits on the road cause cholera (the vendor glared us away, neither of us are very brave), gloating over new shirt and new wife( him) and feeling slightly deprived about wearing old salwar suit and singular lack of spouse or anything in that direction (me).

five minutes after i came home, i recieved a happy phone call from shrams who became YM enabled today. in a gesture of solidarity and support i came online only to find her getting disconnected every 39 seconds. i had to spend considerable time and money (Rs 17 is no mean amount) trying to get her to be a respectable netizen. i also ended up having a very heavy discussion with gullu on the dynamics of being a junkie and somehow the concept of virtue came into it. i was trying to save some of that conversation ( do not spell the word archiving here). i found it immensely blogworthy, but then ofcourse my pc crashed or hanged or hung.whatever. i was also told that an extra-marital affair is something that is entirely the business of two consenting adults. couldn't help feeling that there is also a third non-consenting adult who suffers the most, but technology prevented me from continuing that discussion any further.

maybe my next bit should be on the much diputed anmd discredited concept of virtue. but i so much wanted to record for posterity how our electric line was cut off, and the man climbed on top of the howrah bridge to find food and what my brother told me in strictest confidence about bhishmadeb
("when asked apni faiyaz khan-er shishyo holen keno? tate bole je nasiruddin dagar ar faiyyaz khaner moddhe competition hocchilo. ta ekdin nasiruddin shaheb jama khulte dekhi or gayer mangshota bhalo na, tai faiyaz khan shahebkei first kore dilam").and how gharanas are made.